Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Knowsley Businesswoman Gets A Taste For Success


WHEN mum-of-two Joanne Perry went on maternity leave last year it provided her with the perfect opportunity to start something new – and that’s when she set her sights on opening up her own business.

“In the past I have worked in a number of jobs including anything from fashion to beauty therapy” says Joanne, “but when I left work to have my second baby I decided it was time to try something different. So, I enrolled on a cake making course and it all started from there.”

After a lot of hard work and preparation 36-year-old Joanne, who is from Knowsley, launched her business L&H Cakes in April this year and works in part-time employment also, whilst she establishes the business.

She said: “Since setting up L&H Cakes, I have been in-undated with orders. It started off with just family and friends but now I am picking up new customers all the time through word of mouth.

“At the moment, I am still working part-time, but I absolutely love running my own business and as it builds up further I am looking to finish my part-time employment and concentrate solely on my cake making.”

She added: “The work I do is very involved and I don’t think people realise what goes into cake making, each one takes me approximately four hours to complete – but what I love most about my work is the fact that it is allowing me to be really creative.”

Prior to setting up L&H Cakes Joanne came along to women’s enterprise agency Train 2000 where she received free help and advice under the business start-up programme. She worked on a one-to-one basis with a business adviser who helped to put together her business plan and apply for funding to help towards start-up costs.

“I had never heard of Train 2000 before” said Joanne, “but I had gone along to my local children’s centre in Knowsley with my daughter, who is now one, and whilst I was there I received some information about the organisation. I was already thinking about setting up my own business and I knew I didn’t want to go back to work fulltime, so finding out I could get free help and advice really gave me the extra push I needed.

“Train 2000 was fantastic. My adviser Amanda was so helpful and patient and I don’t think I could have put together a business plan without her. Having Train 2000 to support me, really gave me the confidence I needed to do this and I am so glad I did.”

Through her business Joanne makes wedding cakes, cup cakes and a variety of cakes for all occasions and she is able to base her business at home.

“My cakes are really something special” said Joanne, “I put a lot of work into them, to make them look very individual and enjoy the creativity it brings out in me.”

If you are interested in finding out more about L&H Cakes or if you would like to place an order please contact Joanne on 07784 996 473.

And, if you are a woman living in knowsley and would like to start up your own business, please contact Train 2000 on 0151 236 6601 or visit www.train2000.org.uk to find out about our range of free services.

No comments:

Post a Comment