Thursday, September 16, 2010

Ex-Eurovision star becomes Liverpool businesswoman


FORMER Eurovision Star Gemma Abbey who made up one half of the pop group Gemini has now turned her talents to starting up her own business The Make-up Lounge.

The 29-year-old is set to open up the brand new swanky studio in the Woolton area of Liverpool where she will provide exclusive make up for artists, photographic sessions and weddings.

“I have always had an interest in make up” said Gemma, who lives in West Derby “and because I am a performer myself and have been in the media I know how important good make up is.”

Gemma has recently completed a Fashion & Photographic course at the Manchester Media Academy where she learnt how to apply make up for photographic work.

She said: “The business officially launches on August 26, I am really excited about my new venture and believe it will be a huge success, because there is certainly a call for a good make up studio in the area.

“I will also be doing princess parties, hen do’s and make up for any other occasions – so there is a lot on offer for people in the area and further a-field.”

Prior to starting up her business Gemma came along to women’s enterprise agency Train 2000 where she received help and advice under the business start-up programme. Gemma worked on a one-to-one basis with a business adviser and said that the help she received was extremely useful.

“Train 2000 is a brilliant organisation” said Gemma, “I was given excellent support and advice in setting my business up.”

Gemma, who is mum to her two little girls aged 18 months and three-years-old says that becoming self-employed will also give her much more flexibility around bringing up the children.

And, in her spare time Gemma also continues to sing.

“My youngest daughter has a very serious heart condition” continued Gemma, “so every six months I organise a fundraising concert with Chris, the other half of Gemini, for the Children’s Heart Association and we normally get quite a few celebrities involved.

“I also work as a singer during the evenings and am quite used to being self-employed and am hopeful that the skills I have gained already will help me in my new business.”

Gemma says that despite the bad press she received after Gemini were the first ever British entry to score ‘no points’ at the Eurovision - that she is remembered and recognised for her time as a pop star and she is hopeful that this will benefit her in promoting and getting the word out about The Make-up Lounge.

The Make-up Lounge is based at 134 Hunts Cross Road in Woolton and if anyone would like to find out more they should visit www.themakuplounge.com or call 0151 345 1216.

No comments:

Post a Comment