Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Glitz 'n' Glamour for Sefton businesswoman


WHEN Susan Slater started selling jewellery from a Kirkby market stall just nine months ago she never imagined that it would lead her to opening up her own shop.

Now Glitz ‘n’ Glamour stands out for all to see on Liverpool Road in Maghull – selling a variety of designer inspired handbags and costume jewellery.

“I am delighted to have opened up my own shop” said Susan, “I am really proud of it. I have only been open for six weeks and so far it is going well. There are no other shops like mine in the Maghull area, so once people start to know I’m here then business should really take off.”

In the past 50-year-old Susan has been self-employed before but in the catering sector. She has also provided catering services in a number of nursing homes – so opening up her own retail outlet is presenting her with fresh challenges all the time.

She said: “When I decided to set up a stall on Kirkby market, I had no idea how popular it would be. I noticed immediately that the jewellery I had seemed to sell really well. I enjoyed it very much and it got me thinking that I could open up my own shop in Maghull where I live.

“This is a real change for me, from what I have done in the past, but it is nice to do something different.”

In the shop, which has a boutique feel about it, Susan sells a variety of designer inspired handbags including; Jimmy Choo, Prada, Chanel, D &G, Valentino, Marc Jacobs and many more.

She added: “My aim is to sell quality products at discount prices on a par with what is charged on a market stall. Through the shop we offer a very personal service and if some one comes in asking for a particular bag, we will get it in for them. We sell a variety of bags to accommodate all ages.”

Prior to opening up Glitz ‘n’ Glamour Susan came along to Train 2000 after seeing an advert in her local paper. She worked on a one-to-one basis with her business adviser who helped her to put together a business plan, under the business start up programme.

“Train 2000 was an excellent source of support” said Sue, “it was great to have Amanda to turn to for any help or advice I needed. Often there are questions you have or things that just crop up and it’s nice knowing that there is some one at the end of the phone to help.”

Since opening up the business Susan has had a number of customers visiting her shop and says that it attracts mainly women, of all ages. But, she says it is also the perfect place for boyfriends, husbands and fianc├ęs to buy that special gift for a loved one and adds that she has already sold handbags to a number of men since opening for this very reason..

Over the forthcoming months Susan is hoping to build the business up further and plans to market herself throughout the area in a bid to attract more customers.

Aside from the shop, Sue also provides parties at Glitz ‘n’ Glamour or at people’ homes and the party host receives commission from all goods sold.

If you would like to visit Glitz ‘n’ Glamour the shop can be found at 92 Liverpool Road, Maghull or you can give her a call on 07790 312 794.

And, if you’re a woman from the Merseyside or Greater Manchester area and would like to start up your own business please call Train 2000 on 0151 236 6601 or visit www.train2000.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment