Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Liverpool mum has a taste for business


AFTER a dietetic career spanning 16 years with the NHS Emma Carder decided it was the right time to go it alone and start up her own Nutrition & Dietetic Consultancy business.

Emma Carder Nutrition offers a professional and friendly service to individuals, groups, organisations and businesses in the Liverpool, Merseyside and surrounding areas.

Emma gained her degree in dietetics at Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh in 1995. As a fully qualified and experienced health professional Emma feels she has a good skill set to help her succeed in her business.

“I left my NHS job in October 2010” said Emma, “ I felt I had enough experience to start up my own business and I needed a fresh challenge away from the NHS.”

Emma offers evidence based nutritional advice to her clients at a number of clinics within Liverpool. Popular consultations include weight management, cholesterol lowering and gastrointestinal disorders. As well as the two clinics Emma runs she also provides a nutritional consultancy service to organisations and businesses who require nutritional expertise.

She added: “Although I have only been established since Dec 2010 the response to my business has been very positive. I have been attending a variety of networking events within the city and my business has been received very well, which is encouraging.”

And, as well as running her own business, Emma has two young children aged nine and 11.

“Being my own boss has made a massive difference to my life” said Emma, “It’s lovely to be able to drop the children off at school now and to have the flexibility that being self-employed brings.”

Prior to starting up her business Emma came along to The Women’s Organisation where she received one-to-one business advice including help putting her business plan together.

She said: “I went along to Allerton library to meet with my adviser Huda. She was fantastic and if I hadn’t met her I’m not sure that I could have got to where I am now. It was good to have some one who could help and advise me along the way and I have also attended some of the courses offered by The Women’s Organisation; it was nice to meet other women in similar situations, I found it to be very supportive.

“Setting up my own business has been an extremely steep learning curve for me, but I am thoroughly enjoying it.”

Currently Emma is undertaking a variety of promotional activities including networking, google ad campaigns and magazine advertisements, in order to spread the word about her business.

She added: “In the first year my aim is to firmly establish the clinics I have within the city. Once I have achieved this, I will look at potentially expanding the business into other areas. Having my comprehensive business plan will help to guide me through this process.”

Anyone who would like to contact Emma either to find out more about her services or to make an appointment should contact her on 0151 221 1643 or email nutrition@emmacardernutrition.co.uk Alternatively you can visit her website at www.emmacardernutrition.co.uk
And, if like Emma you are interested in starting up your own business call The Women’s Organisation on 0151 236 6601 and find out about the range of FREE services we can offer. You can also email info@thewo.org.uk or visit www.thewomensorganisation.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment