Thursday, October 30, 2014

After Being Made Redundant, Family Mediator Jackie Roberts Decided to be Her Own Boss

Self-employment had never occurred to family mediator and experienced counsellor Jackie Roberts, but after being made redundant and changes in her family circumstances, being her own boss offered the flexibility she needed.

Credit: Magical Moments Photography
After a relationship has ended, there are a lot of decisions to make and things that need to be resolved. Family Mediation helps supports ex-partners to come to arrangements about issues such as who the children will live with, how often they will see the other parents and financial decisions, such as what happens to the house, debts and savings.

Through her business Taylor Roberts Family Mediation Services, Jackie supports people to make these important decisions.

‘My role as a Family Mediator is to meet with ex partners who are in conflict to help them sort out their disputes.  ‘Conflict’ and ‘dispute’ are strange words to use when talking about people and ‘relationships’.  Maybe it’s more helpful to say that I help adults who have fallen out and can’t communicate, or adults who ‘fight’ every time they attempt to meet or speak.’

If issues are taken to court, the judge makes all of the decisions regardless of what both parties want. Mediation allows people to stay in control. Jackie helps find a solution that works for all involved.

With her business going well, the family mediator reminisced on her start-up journey: ‘I was at a loss as to what to do and I was more nervous than excited. I think the biggest barrier was me. Whilst I am a confident person and I have the skills to be a Mediator/Counsellor, I soon found that I didn’t have the same confidence and skills when it came to setting up my business and marketing myself. I didn’t have a clue and that was scary.’

Jackie knew she needed help, and after a friend told her about the services The Women’s Organisation offer to women starting up a business in Merseyside, she quickly contacted them.

‘There are some great women and men who have your best interests at heart at The Women’s Organisation. John, my business advisor, gave solid advice to get my business plan written. The business planning course helped me create a realistic action plan.’

‘I also did Twitter for the Terrified! It wasn’t actually called that, but that’s how I felt. However, Jo ‘Queen of Twitter’ whipped me into shape.  The Women’s Organisation are not just ticking boxes and getting bums on seats. They are going ‘all out’ to make a difference for your business, and ensuring you make the right choices.’

Jackie believes that sometimes everyone else needs ‘someone else’s vision, input and encouragement to get you going.’ If you surround yourself with people who inspire, challenge and encourage you, then you are part of the way to where you want to be.


If you are looking for advice or guidance that a Family Mediator can offer, contact Jackie on infotaylorroberts@gmail.com

And if you want to take your career in a different direction, The Women's Organisation can support you to become your own boss - 0151 706 8111 / hello@thewo.org.uk - www.thewomensorganisation.org.uk

By Beckie Kinsella





No comments:

Post a Comment