Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The End Of An Era - 54 St James Street Say Goodbye to León+Coco...

It's always a sad day to see a tenant leave our building, but it was especially sad, when last week we said goodbye

Diana Heredia from León+Coco who has been here with us for four years, joining us a short time after we opened our wonderful flagship building, 54 St James Street.

Diana and León+Coco have been previously featured on our blog as Tenant of the Week, and when we wished them a 3rd Anniversary of being in the building (read the full pieces by following the links) and is it any wonder!? We think they are fab!


As Diana packed up her office, we managed to steal a few minutes of her time and ask her about herself, her business, and how she felt about moving on from 54 St James Street...

Please can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your business?

My name is Diana Heredia. I studied interior architecture in Germany before moving to the UK and starting a family. When my older children were little I started making soft furnishings and clothing for them and friends’ children and at some point decided to start my business León+Coco dedicated to unique children’s products.

How long have you been at 54 St James Street?

I have been at 54 St James Street for four years since Coco started school


What is it that you like the best about 54 St James Street?

Well, I love the building, it is very open, fits in perfectly with the look and heritage of the area unlike other new builds in the area which appear utterly incoherent and of questionable quality. The room I rented was well laid out, very light and spacious and the staff was always friendly and professional. It was also good to meet other people with entirely different businesses. The openness of the building is quite conducive to dialogue and exchanges in the public areas and passage ways so there are plenty of opportunities to meet other people, which I believe enhances the work experience.

Have you received help from The Women’s Organisation, what kind of support have you received?

Initially I just wanted to explore if self-employment was an option for me, but within a short space of time I found myself writing a business plan and attending business support classes. I also received a start-up grant back in 2010

Where are you moving onto?

I am hoping to move the business into the new house we’re planning to buy. While I am a firm believer that it is much better and more efficient to work away from home, this option is more practical with a toddler and we would have the combination of an office, studio and eventually a workshop as well, which will be more cost effective in our home setting.

Are you involved in the Baltic Triangle community?

My family and me are very involved in the community and try to connect with residents and businesses as often as possible as we believe that engaging with your neighbourhood is what roots people in a place. I am on the Board of Engage Liverpool and therefore very committed to helping make this area and the whole city a more liveable place. 

What will you miss about 54 St James Street?
I will miss walking to work; those minutes at the start of the day needed to clear my head and make a mental plan of what needs to be done, then seeing the friendly faces on reception and working in an undisturbed environment where everything is unrelated to home, without distractions like telephones, household, etc. And I will miss seeing the Mersey out of my window. 

A massive thank you to Diana for taking the time out to speak to us, we're very sad to see her go, but wish her all the best for the future! (And hopefully she won't be gone forever, and will still pop in to see us from time to time!)


And if you are interested in renting an office from us, please don't hesitate to get in touch, by emailing venue@thewo.org.uk or phoning 0151 706 8111, you can take a look at our website too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment