Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Women in Business - Which women are leading the way in entrepreneurship? Part One

At The Women's Organisation we are passionate about seeing women succeed, and we believe that part of that journey is being inspired by the stories of other successful women.  It is also important to look at areas where women are still underrepresented to raise awareness of this so we can look at ways to fill the gap.  We invited local blogger Elle to look at this further.  This is the first in a series of 2 blogs Elle put together on the topic sharing her thoughts and findings. 

Hi, I’m Elle, a freelance writer specializing in “women in business”. It’s something I feel really passionate about, and I believe the key to pushing through any in-quality issues is talking openly and encouraging each other. I grew up in a strong family of women, and I’ve always tried to surround myself with strong female role-models in a professional sense too. Some of the women I’ve worked alongside in the past have been fantastic examples what a combination of smart, independent and ambitious can create – and I’ve always tried my hardest to let these enviable character traits rub off on me.
 Since going freelance, I’m not around other women as much as I was, but instead I try and research strong women to keep my inspiration high. I hope you enjoy this blog post and that it inspires you when reading it. To read more from me, you can check out my blog.

Where do we stand now?

With 21% of the FTSE 100 positions now occupied by women, female entrepreneurs and business women are making their mark on the world business map. From the beauty industry to science and technology, women entrepreneurs are establishing million dollar companies and proving their worth as astute industry enterprises. 

As a young business woman myself, I find reading about these women incredibly inspiring and encouraging, which is why I want to write something myself, and put all these women into one place, for the inspiration of others. These are the women I personally find most inspiring – and hopefully, someone reading this can take the same confidence and encourage from their achievements as I did.

Health and Beauty
It is perhaps no surprise that there are a great number of women entrepreneurs in the Health and Beauty industry. Liz Earle, Urban Decay, Avon are all examples of highly successful companies founded by women, starting from the ground root working their way up to a multi-million dollar company in a billion dollar industry. As a woman who loves cosmetics, these are brands I use every day – and it’s hugely inspiring to know that these brands were founded and created by other women. It doesn’t end there though, I find
this list from NPD, of the 50 top female entrepreneurs in business, hugely inspiring.

Fashion
The fashion industry also has numerous examples of successful women starting their own businesses from scratch. Spanx founder
Sara Blakely started her $250 million underwear business from just $5000. Within a year, she had moved from her job as a door-to-door salesman to selling millions of shapewear pieces across the world, becoming the youngest self-made billionaire in the world.

Fleet and Trucking
I wanted to include this industry – because it’s an industry know for being weighted heavily towards men and male worked. Do a little digging however, and you can see a rise of female workers on the ground, as well as software companies like this, seeing a rise in women on the software and development side of things too. This for me, shows a real improvement over the past few decades, and women such as Dr Lisa Dorn (founder of Driver Metrics) and Shirley Collins, CAFM, the director of GlaxoSmithKline’s North American fleet since 2001, show there is no ceiling to how far a woman can go in this industry.


Stay tuned for Part 2, when I’ll discuss even more incredible women.

by Elle-Rose 

To connect with Elle via her blog visit http://theelleroseedit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment