Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Reflecting On Our Last 'Change It' Programme and Looking Ahead to the Next ...


Change It is an empowering programme that gives women the tools for change in their lives. Specifically for women living in Liverpool with diagnosed mental health conditions, it looks to support them as they build a more positive future.

We interviewed the women who had completed the 8-week programme and asked them what differences it had made to their lives.

The programme looks at individual themes each week and our training coordinator works alongside the women in a relaxed environment, talking and discussing with them specific issues which they might relate to them and working out tips and tricks to combat these issues.

Specifically relating to the topic of ‘Positive Thinking’ and ‘Learning about Yourself’ a Course Attendee told us; ‘Just looking at your own skills is almost like finding out about the stronger version of yourself. It reminded me that I don’t have to be like anyone else, I can recognise the good qualities in myself. We looked at a list of skills and chose the ones which applied to us. At first I thought ‘Oh no’ – I can’t do this, but ended up coming away with 10 I’d chosen. It’s really nice seeing that you’ve chosen those positive qualities about yourself, that’s lovely to carry away.’ ­

All of the women on the course felt that after completing a session on ‘Positive Thinking’ they were able to identify positive achievements in their lives and begin to break away from negative thinking habits. Another Course Attendee told us; ‘When I joined Change It, I didn’t have the skills or confidence to deal with people. When I started coming to these classes, I gained a lot of confidence. I found out about my own skills and what I can do, and I realised that in my life I can do a lot of things. It feels like freedom now, it feels like flying, like a bird in the sky.’

The women on our Change It programme also benefited massively from the course as it differed vastly from other courses and training they had attended. They enjoyed the relaxed environment that the course took place in and meeting other women who are in similar situations to themselves. On top of this, they all agreed that it made them feel more positive about making changes in their life after they had completed the course. A Course Attendee told us; ‘I leave here and I do feel really fired up. I never go back home and get back into my bed and pull the quilt over my heard. I will do something. I’ll say to myself, after the course I’ll go and meet a friend or do something different. Change It has helped me be more sociable and get out of the house. I know that sounds simple, but before this, getting out of the house was tough.'

Another Course Attendee told us; ‘There’s a little bit of everything in this course. It feels like it’s been picked out for me and what I need to move forward. It’s helped me to accept me, and see that it’s not the end of the world. When you’re depressive, accepting yourself can seem like the end of the world. But here I know I can move forward. Every time I come away from here on a Wednesday, I think – it’s not the end of the world, I can change things.’ 

Our next 'Change It' course commences on Thursday the 6th of October, here at 54 St James Street. If you are interested or would like to find out more, please contact our Engagement Team on 0151 706 8111 or email us on hello@thewo.org.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment