Friday, July 18, 2014

Knowsley Resident and Photography Graduate Jessica Lang Goes Freelance at the Age of 22

When asked what motivated her to start a business so young, Jess replied: ‘Why not? I’m only young once so I may as well take the chance now whilst I’m in a good position financially and have nothing holding me back. I didn’t want to fall out of love with the practice after working so hard at University and going Freelance was just what I wanted to do!’
Credit: Lucy Hannah Photography
Based in Liverpool City Centre, Jess shares a studio with some friends whose own businesses are complimentary to her own. This, combined with her BA(Hons) in Photography, has set her up nicely as her client base steadily grows.

Throughout her time at university, the Kirkby resident built up quite a substantial following on social media. Utilising Facebook particularly well, she now boasts over 2000 followers of her page. Already pretty clued up on networking and marketing, she felt she needed support with the paperwork side of starting up a business. Admitting that she started out ‘messy’, with odd jobs here and there whilst having no idea how to charge or bill correctly, she contacted social enterprise The Women’s Organisation who offered her support through the Big Enterprise in Communities (BEiC) initiative funded by European Regional Development Fund.
Credit: Jessica Lang Photography
‘I found The Women’s Organisation greatly supportive and understanding. My advisor was there in those baby stages so she witnessed me breaking down at times when I had no idea what I was doing. The workshops I attended were very informative and slowly introduced me to the world of tax and made it seem much less daunting. I feel taller and more confident!’

A Fashion Photographer at heart, Jess aims to work primarily in commercial and fashion in the future. For now, however, she is happy experimenting and finding out what works in regards to growing her business.

‘I’m trying loads of different genres and experiencing what sells and what doesn’t, what I’m good at and what I’m not, and which aspects I enjoy more and wish to improve. Photography is quite open and I’m doing a lot of different things at the moment because I’m still figuring out what genre I want to concentrate on.’

Credit: Jessica Lang Photography
Being a freelance photographer and having her own studio, Jessica Lang Photography is able to offer a whole range of services including occasions (weddings, birthdays, christenings), commercial, model portfolios, portraits (single, family, pet), maternity/pregnancy/newborn, fashion and editorial.

Jess has come a long way through her start-up journey and offers this advice to anyone considering self-employment: ‘Don’t rush, and don’t expect for results straight away. See it through and keep trying if it’s something you’re really passionate about. Most of all enjoy it!’

Credit: Jessica Lang Photography
Pleasing clients is the number one priority for Jessica Lang Photography. Nothing makes her happier than seeing happy customers enjoying the photographs she has shot for them.

‘It makes everything worthwhile. Also, making money doing something I love is so, so satisfying! I am very proud of how far I have come.’

Since her journey began back in an after-school class aged 14, Jess has continually grown her skills and portfolio. She has worked on a commercial campaign for a national holiday park, with local model agencies and magazines, shot weddings/events/portraits and most predominantly worked with a mass of models/stylists/make-up artists for fashion and editorial projects.
Credit: Jessica Lang Photography
If you are looking for a passionate photographer that can deliver high quality photographs on location or at her city centre based studio, visit www.jessicalangphotography.co.uk to view her wide portfolio and follow Jessica Lang Photography on Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/Jessicalangphotography and Twitter @JessLangPhoto where she posts updates and news.


And if you like Jess you would love to make money doing what you love, contact The Women’s Organisation on 0151 706 8111 / hello@thewo.org.uk to access free business start-up support via one to one business advice appointments and training workshops. You can also visit our website www.thewomensorganisation.org.uk for



Portrait Photo by Lucy Hannah Photography


By Beckie Kinsella




 

No comments:

Post a Comment