Monday, July 31, 2017

An Open Letter to the Women of Liverpool ..

Meet Maureen. Maureen recently completed our confidence-building programme, ‘Change It: Progress to Success’. Now, Maureen would like to share her story and experience through an open letter with women across Liverpool who are thinking about signing up to the programme. 


 

An open letter to the women of Liverpool,

A friend told me about a free course she was starting at The Women's Organisation. It sounded good and she asked me if I wanted to sign up too. I considered it, but after the tough few months I'd been through, I felt anxious at the very idea. Eventually I agreed, albeit half-heartedly, to attend the first session, then decide if it was for me. 

It turned out to be exactly what I needed. The trainer was lovely, putting everyone at ease and making us all feel welcome. The other group members had, in fact, all felt as nervous as I had about attending, and were all equally lovely. It wasn't long before we were chatting and sharing experiences together, all interspersed with warm-hearted laughter. 

Despite our different backgrounds and stories (yes, we all have a story, even you), we quickly realised we had more in common. There was never any pressure on anyone to speak, and thankfully no 'role play' (a particular horror of mine). As a counsellor, I am passionate about helping people to change, grow and learn more about themselves, but now it was my turn, and getting back to basics was really useful. 

By the end of the 8 weeks, we each had a different perspective, a new drive and clearer direction. I discovered a deeper level of confidence, increased assertiveness, and I finally found my voice. And all of this enabled me to push through some recent crushing fears, to finally make a life-changing decision I had been wrestling with for a while. Over the weeks, as well as learning more about ourselves, we were also given practical information on how to access other local services, that offer help and support in areas including employment, finances and childcare. The other services available at The Women's Organisation were also discussed. 

On the final day of the course, we were each presented with a certificate - but much more importantly, we had cake. Yes CAKE! All fluffy and creamy and yummylicious. Cake changes everything. But seriously, if you get the opportunity to sign up for the 'Change It' course, I encourage you to GO FOR IT. Yes, YOU! You won't be disappointed. And I'm, already, looking forward to reading YOUR blog. 

Good luck. Maureen. X

A huge thank you to Maureen for sharing her story with us!


We currently have two four-week programmes scheduled in, which you can book your place on today. The dates are as follows:

Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 10am-3pm (Following three weeks: 9th, 16th, 23rd)

Wednesday 20th September 2017, 10am-3pm (Following three weeks: 27th, 11th, 18th)
*please note there is a one-week break in this course after week 2

This programme also runs from a number of Children’s Centres in Liverpool. We will be releasing more details on these venues and dates in due course.

If you would like to book a place or find out more about the programme, contact a member of our engagement team on 0151 706 8111 or email hello@thewo.org.uk






No comments:

Post a Comment