Monday, September 18, 2017

Meet One of the Newest Members of Our Team - Ellie Vick!

If you've popped into 54 St James Street recently, you may have had the pleasure of meeting one of the newest (and smiliest!) members of our team. Ellie is a member of our Admin Team and operates Reception - and after four months we can't really remember a time that Ellie wasn't here! So, we thought this would be good time to catch up with Ellie and find our a bit more about her and how she ended up with us at The Women's Organisation. Have a read and be sure to give her a hello when you visit us ... 

What’s your full name and where are you from?

Eleanor Vick and I am originally from Wallasey on the Wirral.

Tell me how you first found out about The Women’s Organisation and become part of our team?

I first found out about the women's organisation via social media, and I attended courses and kept my eye out for job opportunities on the website. It was an organisation that really appealed to me, I have been a member of the Women's Equality party from the beginning and was brought up as feminist, a place championing women's rights on a grass root level is something I really wanted to be a part of.


What kind of things have you done prior to coming to The Women’s Organisation?

I completed a degree at the University of Sheffield in History and English Literature, working two jobs to fund myself, one in the very glamorous role of a night club cleaner and one as a disability assistant (helping students with disabilities get the most out of their university experience). Following on from university I worked at the National Museums of Liverpool (the Walker Art gallery and the Museum of Liverpool). I took up a 6-month placement at the galleries in Edinburgh which was such a wonderful opportunity to work in one of my favourite cities! However, due to funding cuts the job couldn't be made permanent so I moved back to the Wirral and I took a job as a Wedding and Events coordinator at a Hotel. I decided that my future didn't lay in the hospitality industry and made the decision to focus solely on achieving a job I wanted. Which is how I came to apply for this role at the Women's Organisation.

What has surprised you about working at The Women’s Organisation?

The diversity and complexity to the influence that The Women's Organisation has, not just a local level but nationally and internationally. The many branches to the organisation astounds me. Perhaps more so, the staff each hold a multitude of roles and all play a part in achieving the goals of the organisation. The passion and unity of the office is something I have come to really enjoy working within.

What’s the best thing about working at The Women’s Organisation?

The people by far. It would be nothing if each staff member did not actively participate in the values and aims of the organisation. It's an inspiring place to work.


Could you describe one of your typical workdays?

Reception is the first point of call for the organisation and the building, so it can be a very fast paced place to work. Queries come in all forms - phone, email and in person. As receptionists for the whole building, we greet and direct all visitors to the building, so knowing the building and its occupants is crucial. With many tenants and virtual tenants, we deal with their post, take messages on their behalf and answer any queries they may have. Other aspects of our role include setting up internal/external events, processing room hire enquiries, helping with projects within the organisation and any other admin related tasks that crop up on daily basis.

What might (someone) be surprised to know about you?

Perhaps that I have a qualification in archery!

What do you do when you aren’t working? 

Most of my time off is spent with friends and family. We are close knit family but are scattered all over the country so I enjoy travelling to see them. I enjoy visiting galleries and museums around Liverpool and beyond! Most of my travel trips evolve around art! I love travelling, I can never get away as much as I would love to but I am always planning my next adventure!

Thanks Ellie and welcome to The W.O family!

No comments:

Post a Comment