Friday, April 12, 2019

My internship at The Women’s Organisation

After my first year studying Events Management at Liverpool John Moores I realised my passion for marketing so set out to gain some real life industry experience in my second year. After looking through the University careers website I found an internship here at The Women’s Organisation advertised and then went on to do some research into the organisation. After a quick google I realised The Women’s Organisation is a social enterprise that I would love to be a part of, as a proud feminist myself and seeing the amazing work they do I knew their core beliefs aligned with my own. After an interview in January I received the news I got the role and would start a couple weeks after.

On February the 5th I began my first day at The Women’s Organisation, having never worked in an office environment before and in a job,  I wanted to do in the long term, so I was quite nervous. After the first day I felt so at ease and already had learnt so much and put skills I have learnt in lectures to real use, being in an office full of such inspirational women is really something special and unique.

As clichĂ© as it sounds, every day is different. My role mainly includes content creation which can include blog posts, where I have completed case studies about the women we have helped and it’s so inspiring to hear how the women have overcome so much to better their lives. I have also helped run the Instagram and twitter platforms and have really enjoyed finding content to post for these.

My favourite day of my internship was International Women’s Day as we organised a talk with Marnie Millard and Sue Grindrod who are two inspiring women in business. Hearing their stories of how they have got to where they are, the obstacles they have had to overcome and having them offer me advice was a perfect way to spend my International Women’s Day.



The 12th of April marks the end of my 10 week Internship and all in all I’ve had a blast. I’ve learnt so much and I have grown in confidence with the help of the Marketing team and really believe in my own ability now which I’ll take forward to my future projects.

I am currently looking to work a year in industry starting next semester to give myself some more experience and to be honest I’m not ready to go into my 3rd year and having to write my dissertation. I am also going on a 5 week expedition to Fiji in June which I’m so excited for, to help and (aim to) inspire children through education and sports projects.

I just want to say a big Thank You to everyone at The Women’s Organisation for being so welcoming, helping me learn so much and overall, teaching me to stand up for what I believe in always.

No comments:

Post a Comment