Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Meet the Team: Bethan McShane

A new face has joined us on the front desk of 54 St James Street. If you’ve popped by you may have had the pleasure of meeting our lovely Bethan! Bethan has been with us for three months now, so it’s time you get to know her as well as we do. 

From joining the feminism society, working at a psychiatric unit and all the while maintaining an avid love for all things Disney, say hello to Bethan ..

What’s your full name and where are you from?

My name is Bethan McShane and I’m from Liverpool.

Tell me how you first found out about The Women’s Organisation and become part of our team?

I went to Bangor University and became involved in their feminism society, which really ignited my passion for equal rights and in supporting and lifting others, as opposed to tearing them down. After graduating and moving back home to Liverpool, I was keen to find more opportunities and organisations similar to what Bangor offered so that I could continue standing up for what I believed in. The Women’s Organisation was one of my discoveries and is now, amazingly, also my place of work!


What kind of things have you done prior to coming to The Women’s Organisation?

Before starting at The Women’s Organisation, I studied Philosophy and Religion at Bangor University and graduated with a First. Shortly after this, I started employment at a Forensic Psychiatric Unit which was very interesting and rewarding and taught me a lot.

What has surprised you about working at The Women’s Organisation?

The huge amount of people the organisation helps and the difference that is has on their lives. Each member of the team plays such a significant role in providing the service that we do and it’s lovely being able to call myself a part of that.

What’s the best thing about working at The Women’s Organisation?

The wonderful people I get to call my colleagues. They have all been so incredibly welcoming and helpful and have shown so much kindness to me. I really feel part of the team.

Could you describe one of your typical workdays?

On a typical day, I’ll check and respond to any telephone or email enquiries and be at hand to assist with any face-to-face visits. I’ll help to set up any rooms for external bookings we may have and prepare the resources for the courses that we offer, meaning I can often be found scanning, filing and printing! I also look after any post that comes in. Additionally, I’m here to help my colleagues if they need a spare set of hands.

What might (someone) be surprised to know about you?

I’m a huge Disney fan even though I’m nearly 25 ..

What do you do when you aren’t working? 

I love travelling different countries when I can afford to and creating memories with my nearest and dearest. I also enjoy being creative, even if I’m not necessarily the best at it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment